Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stuttering in the Classroom

Have you seen this?


Elizabeth Snyder, a college professor, asked 16-year-old Philip Garber, a stutterer, not to speak in class "so we do not infringe on other students' time."

Are you kidding me?

I do not advocate giving stutterers special treatment, but the classroom should be a safe place for all students. It is where today's students develop the confidence and skills that they need to become tomorrow's professionals. If this student has something to add to the class discussion, he should be allowed to do so.

As a stutterer, I would tell Snyder to show kindness and patience. If Garber's experience is anything like my own, he gets knocked down enough without his professor adding to it.


1 comment:

  1. This is crazy. You would think in this day and age that people have had years to grow up! this makes me sick to see. that professor should be shot and fired and in that order!

    ReplyDelete